Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Birth Story

For those of you who do not care for the gory details of childbirth, here is the short version:

I went to the doctor on Wednesday (Oct. 23rd). I was dilated 2 cm and 80% effaced. Megan was still riding low. I was having painless contractions every 8 minutes that night and into the next morning. So I decided to go into work since they weren't getting closer together. We had a field trip and by the end of the day, I knew my time at school was finished. So I did some last minute things for my long term sub and went home around 4:45. I started having painful contractions 7 minutes apart once I got home. By 10:30, the contractions were 3 minutes apart, so we headed to the hospital. I was dilated 8 cm. The nurses rushed around thinking I was going to deliver any second, but Megan was not born until 4:12 the next morning.

Okay, now for the longer version. . . .

Just a quick background - Justin and I prepared for this birth by taking Bradley method classes. This method encourages no medication/intervention because our body is already set up to give birth. So we talked to our doctor and he was on board with us. We made a birth plan that he signed and sent to the hospital so that when it came time to deliver, everyone would be on the same page. Also, my doctor assured me that if he was in town, he would be at my birth. My name was on a list of patients he should be called about when they got to the hospital. So when we got to the hospital, we assumed Dr. Miller had been contacted and he was en route to us. However, the nurses waited to call the doctor (not realizing we were on Dr. Miller's list), and they said he would not be able to make it because Megan would be delivered before he arrived. They hooked me up to a fetal monitor and put an IV in. I had requested that I just have an IV port (agreed upon by my doctor), but the nurse said the doctor on call would not allow and she did not think even Dr. Miller would allow that. I said I have a birth plan signed by Dr. Miller, but she said it did not matter. I was getting the IV. So I cried. It was so defeating to have planned and prepared for 9 months and then told in no uncertain terms that it was not possible. We knew that the birth plan was flexible and it was just a place to start. However, after working all day and being in pain for many hours, I was very upset. Anyway, my labor seemed to slow down. I was not given the freedom to move around and when it was time to start pushing, the doctor had me lay down (not ideal). I didn't feel like I could ask to change anything. I really just wanted to be finished with the whole process. They broke my water and we waited for my cervix to finish opening. There was a lip on it that would not seem to move, but I felt the need to push. So I ended up pushing for 2 hours. It went fast and slow at the same time. By this time I started pushing, it was 2:00 in the morning and my energy was gone. The pain was awful. My hips hurt so badly even between contractions. I was not expecting that. My legs were up in stirrups and I think they were too high for awhile because I felt like I was hanging from them. Finally, I asked if they could be lowered and they did. It helped a little. It was silent in the room and I felt like the nurses and doctor were just staring at me. They were encouraging while I was pushing, but between felt awkward. Looking back, I really wonder why they did not offer anything but verbal support - especially after pushing for so long. Justin was amazing! He was sweet and encouraging and supported me the whole time. He physically supported my right side and I could tell after the birth because my left side was so sore for days! Again, what was the nurse doing? Finally, the doctor pulled my hand down and I touched my baby's head. I couldn't believe it. The end was near. He said two more contractions and she would be out. I was so ready, that she came out after one contraction. Justin said she kind of popped out. As a result, I tore pretty badly and have some healing to do. But, the minute she was out, I could have cared less. It felt so good to be relieved of the pain and it was amazing to look at my daughter on my stomach screaming her head off!! I hope this narrative does not sound too bitter. I have spent a lot of time processing through thinking about what else I could have done and running different scenarios in my head of how it could have been better. There is definitely fault on both sides of the table. The day before, my doctor said that if I could stop working, he would strongly recommend it. I made the right decision a day too late. I was sooooo tired by the time Megan was born. If I can avoid that the next time, I will. The hospital staff was not as cooperative as we had been led to believe they would be. However, our doctor was very upset that things did not go as we had planned. He apologized many times and his acknowledgment that things should have/could have gone differently really made us feel better. Now it is all behind us and we are enjoying our little girl. Every pain and tear and feeling of frustration was completely worth it to have her in our lives!!

8 comments:

Donna Ryan said...

I have mixed feelings when reading a birth story like this. I am so curious if you will birth in a hospital next time around, or try a midwife at a birthing center or home.

This is the biggest problem with having a group of doctors, even though I think you only had 2 in that group. Same with nurses. You just don't know who will be attending your birth. Birthing a baby, physically and psychologically, is a lot like having sex. You can't relax and enjoy the moment if people are watching you. The sphincters don't want to cooperate under pressure!

You did the right thing, as far as having your doctor sign off things that were unique to your birth plan, and the hospital absolutely should have honored it. In fact, I would write a letter and really let them know how disappointed you are that they did not respect your wishes, even though your doctor had approved them. That is the whole point of writing the birth plan. You didn't need all those things -- continuous monitoring, IV, breaking water, supine position and stirrups. That is the classic "American" birth, meant for women having drugs and can't help themselves through this process. You were totally not that woman that needed those things!

It's very hard to stand up for what you want when you are surrounded by medical personnel that you don't know. It is so very important to know everyone at your birth, but in this day and age, that almost never happens.

I am so proud of you for sticking to your guns and not having the pain medication. It is hard work, but worth every minute, not just for the baby, but the entire family. I'm sure you'll agree that this experience brought you and your husband closer together.

I hope that this birth gave you the confidence in your body to birth a baby without pain medication. Learn from this experience with the hospital and don't be afraid to do things differently next time.

How is breastfeeding? If you have any questions, need help, whatever, please don't hesitate to call or email. Let me know, also, if you need a sling.

Congratulations! Enjoy this time. It will be gone before you know it. If you haven't picked up "The Baby Book" by Dr. William Sears, now is a great time! Don't be afraid to co-sleep with your baby. Remember, there's a lot of (bad) advice out there. Think about what is best for your baby, not necessarily yourself. Needs and wants are the same thing to a baby. They cannot manipulate you -- at least not yet -- give her a couple of years!!

Unknown said...

I pray that the sharing of your story helps you to further heal.

You did an awesome job delivering a beautiful and healthy baby girl (without the use of pain killers-who does that?). For nine months you took care of yourself and planned for Megan's well-being. Look at her. She is absolutely perfect. You are one amazing young woman and we are very proud of YOU.

I don't know why you had to go through what you did, but I do know God was with you, protecting you and your baby. It could have been so much worse. We are blessed.

We thank God for you, for your supportive husband and for your precious baby girl.

Love,
Mom and Dad

The Gray Gang said...

girl, so sorry things weren't as expected. honestly i can totally relate to it on so many levels. ultimately i had to release it and trust that God was in control. and then realize with the next births (much later down the road I'm sure)...that you do have more control and voice and that there are other options...hang in there girl. as i'm sure some days that frustration you felt will come rushing back, as did mine. she's so beautiful, you both have so much 2 be proud of!

Unknown said...

You did so awesome!!

KarenD said...

Your story is exactly why I didn't pursue the natural thing after the point in which I realized our hospital and doctor would most likely not be very compliant. I wish we had a birthing center here... or even Bradley classes for that matter. Although I don't have any regrets about the way we did things... the epidural did give me a chance to rest, which I can't imagine how incredibly EXHAUSTED you must have been after a busy day of school and then so many hours of labor. But you're right, all of it pales in comparison to your sweet bundle, and I can't wait to meet here!

KarenD said...

I mean, meet "her" not "here."

Colby, Pennie, Cade and Claire Langford said...

you are awesome!!!
i can't imagine birth without drugs!
i can't really relate since i had a c-section, but you are a ROCK STAR!!!!
miss you guys.
she is a real cutie!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations to you both!